Choose the Right Hardware
Rods and finials are offered in a huge variety of styles including wood, metal, glass, iron, and ceramic. The only downside is that it may take you longer to decide on the rods than on some of the other elements for your room!
Here are some tips on choosing window treatment hardware.
- Determine if you want the window hardware to stand out or be "invisible". Rods and finials might be more prominent in a formal room while a contemporary room calls for clean lines and an uncluttered look.
- Consider the function of a window treatment as you choose the hardware. Draperies that close will require easy sliding rings or a draw cord system. Stationery decorative panels can be gathered onto a rod or hung from tab tops or ties.
- Layer your window treatments for the most flexibility. For example, place blinds next to the glass for privacy and light control, then add decorative curtain panels for color and style.
- Use two rods or a double rod to accommodate a layer of sheers and over drapes, or drapes and a valance.
- Look for rods, finials, and hardware in styles and colors that will enhance the look of your decor and the window treatments.
- Contemporary homes will find that chrome rods, glass finials, metals, iron, and cable systems will fit well with that look.
- Newer wire systems are perfect for very wide windows and for contemporary rooms where furnishings and accessories may be minimal and straight lined.